Meet Your Neighbor - Twice Nice Purses


Me and my husband
Who are you?
My name is Nancy O'Rourke. I live in Cumberland, ME with my wonderful husband of 28 years.
I have two great children. My daughter is 26 and my son is 23. I teach first and second graders in a primary school in Cumberland.



Are you a native Mainer? If so, what’s kept you?  If not, what brought you here?
My two kids
As a child, I lived in Portland until my dad got transferred to CT. While living in VA for a year, my husband got a job in Portland. We happily moved to Maine just a week before my daughter was born. Virginia was not for us! We've lived in Cumberland for the last 21 years I love the seasons, the people, the pace of life here and the coastline. Lots of my purse designs are inspired by where I live. I get inspiration from my family and the colors and shapes in my gardens and around Maine.



How long have you been making your craft and what got you into it?
I have always loved to make things. My mom is very creative and taught me how to sew and knit an early age. I still sew but can't knit! I discovered needle felting from one of my students about 4 years ago. He was just 7 years old at the time and brought a felted picture he had done. I was hooked! 



Needle Felted Flower Wool Shoulder Bag
As a mom and a teacher, I believe we need to take care of our environment. So, I decided to use pre-loved wool for my purses and bags. I shop in local thrift shops and have lots of family and friends who happily give me their old wool clothing.


How has being a part of the Etsy Maine Team helped you?
For years I participated in local craft fairs. I was looking for a broader audience for my bags. Both my children suggested I join Etsy. Once I joined Etsy, I was thrilled to find a Maine Team. The Maine team has helped me get more exposure and a better sense of what shoppers are likely to buy. It's great to see how many artists there are in Maine!


Cranberry Felted Flower Pin
What are some of your favorite shops on Etsy?
I have lots of favorite shops. Here are just a few: alohasun, agklein, and FoxIslandFancywork. creationsbycorina, InnaGanke, Chopard, aileenclarkecrafts, and TerryAskeArtQuilts.



Where do you see yourself and your Etsy shop in the future?
I would love to be selling more but I think my purse designs and styles are getting better and better.


Where can we find you online and locally?
I have a facebook site: www.facebook.com/pages/Twice-Nice-Purses/140143136070974 and you can find my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TwiceNicePurses?ref=pr_shop_more.



Thanks Nancy for sharing a little about yourself and how the wonderful state you live in helps you create!  
Be sure to check out all the other awesome Maine artisans on Etsy, by searching "maineteam."