Meet Your Neighbor - Louisiana1966

Me
Who are you?
My real name is Julie Ann (Hamilton-Jones) Bailey.
My shop's name is louisiana1966-because I was born in Louisiana in 1966 (and everything with "Julie" in it was taken!)
I make mostly bags-from tiny coin purses to shopping totes;plushies and art/sock dolls.Everything is made with reclaimed/upcycled materials.




Tell us a little about your family.
My Hubby
My family is my husband of 25 + years and 3 cats.No children;but we do also feed and care for LOTS of racoons and other wildlife!



Where are you in Maine and what’s it like?
I live in Windham.My house sits on top of a steep hill,surrounded by trees and bushes.The "backyard" is all woods and slopes down to the Pleasant River.Lovely!



My Yard
Are you a native Mainer?  If so, what’s kept you. If not, what brought you here?
I am not a native,obviously! My parents are Jamaican and we ended up in Maine after stints in Louisiana,Canada and New York! My mother had lived in Canada and in Lewiston before, actually, so it wasn't such a culture shock! My husband is a native.We almost bought our first house in New Orleans-shortly before Katrina! Instead we ended up in the country and I LOVE it! (I don't love winter,though!)



How long have you been making your craft and what got you into it?
A work in progress
I have been knitting and crocheting since I was about 19 and sewing for almost as long.I have always loved making things! I think growing up poor and starting out as a poor,young married couple had alot to do with it as I had to learn to make things like pillows and curtains for us rather than buy them.



Do you feel your craft is related to where you live?
There is a real sense of "Yankee thrift" here in Maine-which I have absorbed even if I am not a Yankee! The fact that I use reclaimed and upcycled materials ties in with living both in the woods and on a river.I love nature and the earth and do everything I can to protect and preserve it!



How has being a part of the Etsy Maine Team helped you?
The Etsy Maine Team is awesome!! They are so supportive and helpful! I have learned alot about the running of my business and craft fairs from this team and made some true friends,too!



What are some of your favorite shops on Etsy?
Floral Tote in Burgundy, Cream, and Gold
My favourite shops have to include (by no means a complete list!):
MakingsofShannaTice-such beautiful crochetwork!
MommieMadeIt-my source of fabric labels
PeculiarParchment and PaperQuick-my sources for thank-you notes.
RayvenWoodManor and CJGrand-where I get most of my jewelry!
layoutsfromtheheart-where I shop for paper embellishing!




Howard the Owl upcycled plushie
Where do you see yourself and your Etsy shop in the future?
I can't imagine NOT making things! I hope that the future will see my shop and my craft ever improving and growing!




Thanks Julie for sharing a little about yourself and how the wonderful state you live in helps you create!  
Be sure to check out all the other awesome Maine artisans on Etsy, by searching "maineteam."