Meet Your Neighbor - Walking Bird Designs

Pink Patchwork Pouch

Who are you?
My name is Peggy Wentworth and my shop is Walking Bird Designs. 
I love creating patchwork in all forms and will be focusing on that in the items that I sell. I'll be selling personal accessories such as bags, purses, totes and possibly clothing. Also items for your home like sachets, table and kitchen items, and quilts.

Tell us a little about your family.
I live with my husband Scott and my teenage sons Ian and Kyle. I also have a daughter Erin who is married and has two sons.

Where are you in Maine and what’s it like?
I live in Benton, just north of Waterville. We have an old farm on 50 acres that we've been remodeling for the last 11 years. I raise chickens and most years have a small garden. Our dog Max is here for constant morale support and Miss Kitty does her part keeping everyone on their toes.

Patchwork Hummingbird Lavender Sachet
Are you a native Mainer? If so, what’s kept you? If not, what brought you here?
I'm originally from Michigan. I came to Maine in 1980 when I was in the Navy. After getting out of the Navy I stayed in Maine so my daughter could be near her father who was still in the Navy here. In 1989 I met my husband while we were both working at Bath Iron Works. Not your typical shipboard romance for sure but one that has endured through smooth sailing and rough seas.
The weather and landscape in Maine is much like Michigan. It did take a bit getting used to the frost heaves in the roads though. We keep talking of "going west" but I'm not sure we ever will.

How long have you been making your craft and what got you into it?
I've been sewing since I was old enough to go to school. I only began quilting for about 25 years. 
I walked into the fabric store in Waterville and fell in love with "quilting fabric" at first sight.
 They had just received a new fabric with a Norman Rockwell type winter scene. I had to make something from it. 
At the time "Quillows" were very popular. So I bought enough of that fabric for the back of the quilt and chose primary colors for the pieced blocks for the top. Went home, drafted my pattern....I may have tons of books and magazines but mostly for inspiration....and set to putting my first quilt project together. After that cutting up perfectly good fabric into little pieces and sewing it back together became an obsession.

Do you feel your craft is related to where you live?
Walking Bird Shoulder Bag
Yes, because of the part the quilt has played in Maine past and present.

How has being a part of the Etsy Maine Team helped you?
I've been on Etsy about 3 years now. The first 9 months or so were a struggle to learn everything on my own. Then I found the Maine team....an awesome group of people full information. An excellent support group whether it's business or otherwise. Always willing to help promote and gently push you along if you need it. I'm not sure I would have made it without the team.

What are some of your favorite shops on Etsy?
They are all my favorites but if I had to single any out I think it would be http://www.etsy.com/shop/LittleputLand
also a non team shop owner that I've become close friends with

Where do you see yourself and your Etsy shop in the future?
I'm working towards getting my new shop stocked with great items and generating enough sales to replace my not so reliable job.

Primitive Wool Penny Rug



Thanks Peggy for sharing a little about yourself and how the wonderful state you live in helps you create!  
Be sure to check out all the other awesome Maine artisans on Etsy, by searching "maineteam"