Meet Your Neighbor - Pitter Patter Tutus

Starting today, every Tuesday on this blog will introduce a proud member of the Etsy Maine Team.


Who are you?
Karl, (Darth) Veda, and Me
I'm Megan Emery, my shop is pitter patter tutus and I sell dress up finery for little (and big) girls.

Tell us a little about your family.

Right now my family consists of myself, my incredibly funny and hot boyfriend Karl (a former Marine fire fighetr turned architecture student!) and our two cats Agapanthus and (Darth) Veda.

Where are you in Maine and what’s it like?

Me
I'm living in Sabattus, ME on a dead end road near the Bowdoin border. It's an amazing area full of farmland (I have to drive through a flock of geese every morning to go to work!) where we own our first house on almost an acre of land. We have a stream that runs through our property and a small man made pond that has lovely mermaid rocks sticking up out of its center. Our house was vandalized by some teenagers before we bought it so a lot of the interior walls are splattered in a rainbow of different paints in different colors. 

Are you a native Mainer? If so, what’s kept you here.  If not, what brought you here?

I'm not a native Mainer but I did grow up here. We moved to Eastport when I was 9 and I went to the Maine School of Science and Mathematics. When I went away to college I wanted adventure and I'v always harbored a deep wanderlust. I moved around and experienced different people and places but really missed the ocean. When the housing market crashed I knew I'd finally be able to afford to buy something of my own and I knew that it was probably here in Maine. While we still couldn't afford to live on the coast I came back to do some nonprofit work and give back to what will always be my "home state" and to get my shop in order.

How long have you been making your craft and what got you into it?

Teal Fairy Wings
My first job was in Eastport as a seamstress for the Recollections Victorian reproduction clothing line while it was still based there. I started by winding bobbins and cutting patchwork and moved all the way up to creating the most beautiful fitted taffeta jacket sets and assisting in the creation of hand bbeaded wedding gowns dripping with handmade silk and satin roses. I kept working there on my summer breaks from boarding school and then college, but once I moved full time to VT I finally left. I continued making little things for myself and friends but was kind of burnt out from the intensity of the labor and the business at that point. In college I created some tutus for myself that were totally off the wall for parties and costume contests that I would wear around with my roller skates at every chance I got! About 3 years ago I made a set of three unique tutus for my friend's daughter on her 3rd birthday. She was opening a craft shop that month and begged me to make some tutus to sell in her shop. I was sure no one else would want my quirky designs but submitted to appease her. They sold and then my replacements sold and then I sold out again and realized that I may be on to something. Now I've indulged my inner child to the fullest and have branched waaaay out. Now that sales are picking up in my shop from my more standard items I hope to branch out and start creating wacky tutus, upcycled pinafores and teddy bears.


Two of my favorite models
Do you feel your craft is related to where you live?
My craft is very related to where I live. I think I'm at my best when mired in a mixture of chaos, nature and self inflicted danger. I finally own my own home with my own family and which have all experienced all those things on their own terms and we fit so well together. I can sit by a pond filled with frogs and flowers and read, hop up and head through a paint splattered house blaring punk rock and into my studio that's dripping with characte, memories and inspiration. It's heaven.


Design Your Own Headbands


How has being a part of the Etsy Maine Team helped you?
I'm new to the team but I love hearing others expressing their frustrations and have team members so willing to help you solve them. I'm very into support units and helping people and that's what I was hoping to find with you. I've not been let down! I love putting fellow team members into treasuries and showcasing the amazing things we're creating in Maine!




What are some of your favorite shops on Etsy?
Wow. Favorite shops? I love shadowempress (www.etsy.com/shop/shadowempress?ref=pr_faveshops)
jenhough (www.etsy.com/shop/jenhough)
MissVioletLace (www.etsy.com/shop/MissVioletLace)
fablesByBarrie (www.etsy.com/shop/FablesbyBarrie
CrudeThings (www.etsy.com/shop/CrudeThings)
and so many others... I picked these because I'm always excited to see their new products and I'm still convinced I can dress like this!

As far as Maine Team shops I love
lindybythesea (www.etsy.com/shop/lindybythesea)
festoonery (www.etsy.com/shop/festoonery)

SMWartworks (www.etsy.com/shop/SMWartworks)


Two Fairy Wings for Two Sisters
Where do you see yourself and your Etsy shop in the future?
In the future I'd love to branch out more and include those items I mentioned before and I'd love to get another shop for my adult tutus line started. I do bridal, steampunk and burlesque tutus and pinup flowers that I simply adore and I'd love to be able to create them for others. I think the real fun lies in the fact that all clothing is a costume so we should be able to wear whatever we want. I want help others wear whatever they want even if they aren't able to sew it for themselves!


Where can we find you online and locally?
While I'm not in any Maine shops yet, you can find me at:
etsy: www.pitterpattertutus.etsy.com
website: www.pitterpattertutus.weebly.com
facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Pitter-Patter-Tutus/127423996971?ref=ts
twitter: pitterpattertut (pitterpattertutus wouldn't fit!)

or at Summit Soapworks in Ludlow, VT


Thanks Megan for sharing a little about yourself and how the wonderful state you live in helps you create!  
Be sure to check out all the other awesome Maine artisans on Etsy, by searching "maineteam".